Manager: Sustainable Intensification Work Package
À propos de l’offre d’emploi
Reports to: Work Package Lead and Co-Lead
Location: ICARDA North Africa Research Platform, Rabat, Morocco
Thirty-two Initiatives are covered in the 2022-2024 Investment Prospectus, aimed at accelerating innovative solutions to achieve impact. Initiatives are made up of work packages, which are the key instruments for delivering outputs, outcomes, and impacts. Strong leadership and teams are essential to the successful delivery of the CGIAR (Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research) Initiatives and CGIAR 2030 Strategy. The way in which those teams are formed is at the heart of the CGIAR reform process and culture.
The “From Fragility to Resilience in Central and West Asia and North Africa (F2R-CWANA)” initiative aims at building resilient agri-food systems in the region, primed to withstand the effects of climate change and generate better livelihoods for rural communities. At its core, this Initiative will serve to provide options for climate adaptation and mitigation that respond to, and are effective for, smallholder farmers in CWANA with a view to scaling up and out the best bet solutions. It recognizes the unique biodiversity richness of this center of origin of many species, and it shall promote its conservation of soil, ecology and water resources in situ and ex situ. It is aware of the complex political interactions between countries in the region, and it shall bridge borders to bring forth technologies that are widely deployable.
Work Package 3: “Sustainable intensification of farming systems for climate resilient reduction of yield gaps” focuses on the sustainable intensification of principal farming systems to build resilience to climate risks and close the yield gaps within planetary boundaries. CWANA is the most water-stressed region in the world and has large yield gaps resulting associated with poor on-farm agronomic management practices leading to poor resource efficiency, low farm income, and food insecurity resulting in a heavy dependence on imports for major food crops. The region’s insufficient knowledge and service delivery infrastructure, capacity and enabling policies are key bottlenecks for producers, SMEs, and value chain actors to access resources to manage and mitigate risks.
Main purpose of position
The Manager is responsible for assisting in the successful delivery of the Work Package, supporting a unified approach to Initiative delivery across entities and with partners, with the commensurate accountability and responsibility.
- Ensure the successful delivery of Work Package activities and coherence, identifying any gaps and making recommendations to the WP (Work Package) Lead and Co-Lead.
- Regularly revisit the Theory of Change of the Work Package and advise to adapt as necessary to be relevant and leading towards outcomes and impacts.
- Actively support researchers to ensure that the science within the Work Package is of the highest possible standard.
- Assist WP leadership in clarifying to Work Package team members’ delivery expectations and provide timely feedback to WP leadership on the team members delivery performance.
- Assist WP leadership in promoting diversity, fairness, equity, and inclusion within the Work Package.
- Assist in fostering integration amongst Work Packages and with other Initiatives.
- Work with the WP Lead and Co-Lead to define an annual budget for the Work Package, including allocation of Initiative funds and applying any adjustments when needed.
- Assist in drafting Work Package reports within an agreed reporting cycle.
- Manage risks and ensure compliance with standards as appropriate.
- Ensure proper consideration is given to gender and related issues in the programming and budgeting of activities.
- Assist in developing and overseeing the implementation of a Monitoring and Evaluation Plan for the Work Package.
- Participate, as appropriate, in monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment processes, including reports of MELIA on Work Package activities.
- Liaise regularly with WP leadership for guidance and support.
- Coordinate Work Package communication activities, including liaising with colleagues in the Communications & Outreach Division where needed.
- Organize periodic meetings to bring together implementing partners and scientists from across the work package to present results, exchange research methods, develop strategies to maximize impacts and build stronger collaboration.
- Assist in developing resource mobilization plans, working closely with WP leadership.
- Develop and sustain the strong and respectful internal and external partnerships necessary to ensure the success of the WP and initiative as a whole.
Education, qualifications, and experience
Essential Qualifications And Competencies
- Minimum PhD in Agronomy, Water Resource Management, Soil & Water Conservation, or related fields.
- At least 10 years’ relevant experience managing research projects and multidisciplinary teams located in different countries.
- Trained in crop modeling, GIS (Geographic Information Systems), precision agriculture, climate-smart agriculture.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, conduct, analyze and interpret research results through rated publications.
- Previous work experience in an international, multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work in a team and supervise technical staff.
- Experience in writing reports and communicating scientific topics to laypeople.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in spoken and written English.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural work environment.
- Experience working with CGIAR centers and national governments.
Terms of appointment, salary, and benefits
This is a full-time project-based contractual position. The successful candidate will be offered a 1-year consultancy contract, the first 6 months of which will be probationary, with the possibility for further extension of contract based on funding availability and requirement for continuity.
The incumbent will be granted a consolidated all-inclusive monthly honorarium.